Style Graduate

Professional style on a graduate student budget.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

My "It" Bag

Oh, this is my first time doing Carnivale of the Couture! When I saw the question - what would your #1 big-name designer "it" bag be - I didn't even have to think about it!

In general I'm not one for "it" bags, mostly because I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on accessories, and even if I did, I'm pretty sure shoes would come first, then the fancy handbags. But I can still easily answer the question...my one and only has always been the Fendi Baguette from the mid 90s:



Soooo pretty! Where to begin emoting about the baguette? First, it's very small, which I love (which I'm sure you can tell by the handbags I design myself). Secondly, I would definitely get a baguette like the one pictured, one of the hand-stitched ones with rare silks, feathers and crystals embroidered on it, not one of the standard logo-embossed leather ones. It's like a little piece of jewelry for your arm!

The great thing about the baguette is that when they debuted in '97, ALL of them were limited edition - a whole new collection came out every six months. And given that the most popular bags of the time were the devastatingly dull black nylon boxes from Kate Spade and the equally boring black nylon Prada backpacks, these little darlings stood out from the pack!

A little Googling shows that the original retail price on these little guys hovered in the $2,500 + range, which in the grand scheme of "it" bags isn't too bad, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home